DMA Mapping Software
Create Designated Market Areas Map
You can easily create DMA maps using Mapline. A Designated Market Area refers to geographic locations in the United States where local television viewing is measured by The Nielsen Company. It has exclusively owned DMA boundaries and data. According to the company, a DMA region consists of counties that form an exclusive geographic area where the home market television stations dominate the total hours viewed by the television viewers. There are 210 DMA regions in the US.
Using Mapline, you can easily create DMA maps onto which you can overlay your Excel data for analysis. Maps showing a media market using DMA regions are useful for sales and marketing companies, research centers, and other organizations that utilize geographic areas. They can help local advertising companies target audiences and direct marketing campaigns from different media. Local television markets use the territories to sell advertising campaigns.
With a clear picture from your DMA maps of which customers are viewing specific TV ads, you can even work toward tailoring your ads for each particular audience, making your marketing efforts more personal and more effective. You can also troubleshoot more easily to determine why some ads may be working better than others.
Steps to Create Designated Market Area Maps
- Create a Mapline account and login.
- Click the orange button “New.”
- Select “New Map” on the drop down arrow.
- Give your map a name and click “OK.”
- Click the “Add” button from the left sidebar.
- Select the “Boundaries” option.
- From the “Boundary Type” select “U.S. Designated Marketing Areas.”
- Select how you want your boundaries to be colored in “Fill Color” (Random Colors, Uniform Colors, Heatmap on pins inside boundaries, or Paste colors from a spreadsheet).
- Click “OK.”
That’s how easy it is to create US DMA maps! Once you have your map, you can create a map of Excel spreadsheet locations to overlay on top. Mapline also makes it simple to see summary information about the locations inside each DMA just by clicking on them! Check out our features to find out what else Mapline can do for your business.