3 Digit Zip Code Map by State
How to Create 3 Digit Zip Code Maps
You can easily create 3 Digit Zip Code maps using Mapline. The 1st digit of a 5-digit Zip Code represents the division of the USA into 10 large groups of states numbered from 0 (Northeast) to 9 (West). The 2nd and 3rd digits represent the states that are divided into even 10 smaller geographical areas. Also known as “sec center,” they are useful in processing and sorting mail. For business and marketing use, creating a 3-digit Zip Code map by state can be helpful for determining larger customer segments than full 5-digit zip codes, while still allowing you to visualize groups of locations separately.
The US Zip Codes were assigned using the following criteria:
- Those starting with “0” were assigned to MA, RI and NH.
- Those starting with “1” were assigned to NY, PA and DE.
- Those starting with “2” were assigned to DC, MD, VA, WV, NC and SC.
- Those starting with “3” were assigned to GA, FL, AL, TN and MS.
- Those starting with “4” were assigned to KY, OH, IN and MI.
- Those starting with “5” were assigned to IA, WI, MN, SD, ND and MT.
- Those starting with “6” were assigned to IL, MO, KS and NE.
- Those starting with “7” were assigned to LA, OK and TX.
- Those starting with “8” were assigned to CO, WY, ID, UT, AZ, NM and NV.
- Those starting with “9” were assigned to CA, HI, OR and WA.
Steps to Create a 3 Digit Zip Code Map
- Create a Mapline account and login.
- Click the orange button “New.”
- Select “New Map” on the drop down arrow.
- Give your map a name and click “OK.”
- Click the “Add” button from the left sidebar.
- Select the “Boundaries” option.
- From the “Boundary Type” select “U.S. Zip Codes (3 Digit) – All States.” (Available in 2000 and 2015)
- Select how you want your boundaries to be colored in “Fill Color” (Random Colors, Uniform Colors, Heatmap on pins inside boundaries, or Paste colors from a spreadsheet).
- Click “OK.”
That’s how easy it is to create a 3 Digit Zip Code map! Once you have your map, you can create a map of Excel spreadsheet locations to overlay on top. Mapline also makes it simple to see summary information about the locations inside each zip code just by clicking on them!
Mapline is more than just zip code mapping software. Browse our plans to learn more about what you can do with Mapline and sign up now.