3 Digit ZIP Code Map by State
How to Create 3 Digit ZIP Code MapsYou can easily create 3 digit ZIP code maps using Mapline. The first digit of a 5 digit ZIP code represents the division of the USA into 10 large groups of states numbered from 0 (Northeast) to 9 (West). The second and third digits represent the states that are divided into even 10 smaller geographical areas. Also known as “sec center,” they are useful in processing and sorting mail. For business and marketing use, creating a 3 digit ZIP code map by state can be helpful for determining larger customer segments than full 5-digit ZIP codes, while still allowing you to visualize groups of locations separately. Explore Mapline’s ZIP code mapping features to learn how to create a ZIP code map for your business. Wondering how the United States Postal Service categorization method informs your ZIP code analyses? The US ZIP codes use the following criteria:
- Those starting with “0” were assigned to MA, RI and NH.
- Those starting with “1” were assigned to NY, PA and DE.
- Those starting with “2” were assigned to DC, MD, VA, WV, NC and SC.
- Those starting with “3” were assigned to GA, FL, AL, TN and MS.
- Those starting with “4” were assigned to KY, OH, IN and MI.
- Those starting with “5” were assigned to IA, WI, MN, SD, ND and MT.
- Those starting with “6” were assigned to IL, MO, KS and NE.
- Those starting with “7” were assigned to LA, OK and TX.
- Those starting with “8” were assigned to CO, WY, ID, UT, AZ, NM and NV.
- Those starting with “9” were assigned to CA, HI, OR and WA.
Create 3 digit zip code maps and overlay your Excel spreadsheet location data.
Steps to Create a 3 Digit Zip Code MapIf you have a spreadsheet with geographic data, you can visually uncover patterns and trends with a 3 digit ZIP code map. To create a ZIP code map with Mapline, simply follow the steps below:
- Create a Mapline account and login.
- Click the orange “Add New Items” button.
- Select “New Map” on the drop down arrow.
- Give your map a name and click “OK.”
- Click the “Add” button from the left sidebar.
- Select the “Territories” option.
- Click “From Mapline’s Repository.”
- From the “Territories” select “U.S. ZIP Codes (3 Digits).”
- Select how you want your boundaries to be colored in “Fill Color” (Random Colors, Uniform Color, Dynamic heat map colors, or Custom colors from spreadsheet).
- Click “OK.”