Create US County Maps
Overlay Your Data on US County Maps
You can easily create a map of US counties using Mapline. A county is a political and geographic subdivision of a state. Of the 50 states, only Louisiana and Alaska do not use the term “county.” Their state divisions are called “parish” and “borough” respectively, although they function the same as counties. Delaware has the least number of counties (3) while Texas has the most number of counties (254).
When you highlight counties on a map and then overlay your own data, you’re able to spot a lot of trends. With county mapping, you can visualize statistics more easily. Once you overlay your Excel data, you can recognize patterns within certain counties – for instance, are there some locations in which your company is performing much better than others? You can look into information within each county to start to form a hypothesis as to why this might be the case. Using a map of US counties, you can get much more granular with your information and insights than you can with only state maps.
Using Mapline, you can create a US County map by state. As of 2013, the US had a total of 3,144 counties and county equivalents.
Steps to Create a Map of US Counties by State
- Create a Mapline account and login.
- Click the orange button “New.”
- Select “New Map” on the drop down arrow.
- Give your map a name and click “OK.”
- Click the “Add” button from the left sidebar.
- Select the “Boundaries” option.
- From the “Boundary Type” select “U.S. County.” You can choose “All States” or any state you prefer.
- Select how you want your boundaries to be colored in “Fill Color” (Random Colors, Uniform Colors, Heatmap on pins inside boundaries, or Paste colors from a spreadsheet).
- Click “OK.”
That’s how easy it is to create a US County map! Once you have your map, you can create a map of Excel spreadsheet locations to overlay on top. Mapline also makes it simple to see summary information about the locations inside each county just by clicking on them! Sign up now to create a US County maps.